Friday, January 29, 2010

OUCH!!

Today I am mourning the loss of my sons adorable little smile.
I was watching Luke while Doug was in the chair being examined by the dentist. Luke was trying to open my wallet and take out all the contents. I reached to try and take it from him and he got so angry he flailed around to throw a tantrum and dramatically cast his face into the wooden arm of the chair I was sitting in. He fell to the floor completely stunned and began screaming and bleeding intensely. When I finally got a look at the tooth I could see that the right front tooth had been forced about half way back up into his gum.
Fortunately and somewhat ironically Doug and I were at the dentist office getting our teeth cleaned. The dentist was very nice and came out to do an emergency examination of Luke's mouth. Unfortunately there isnt much to do at this point. He said the tooth may come in another color...I assume maybe gray or dark and that we need to watch it for possible infection due to nerve damage....UGGHH!
I still want to cry every time he smiles at me. It looks so awful. His gum is all purple and red and you can barely see the tooth when he smiles....
It is extremely distressing!!
I am not sure I am going to make it until he is an adult.

5 comments:

Marsh said...

Someday, you'll be able to look at him and that bubba smile will be the most endearing thing about him. Like I said welcome to early childhood parenthood! The best is yet to come.

Jami said...

Oh, Sarah...I'm so sorry! I hope he is okay. At least they are only baby teeth, right? Poor guy.

mandybkidsrn said...

I am so sorry for you and for Luke. I feel your pain. Evelynn only had her two front teeth totally in for like a month and she chipped the one on the right. It is not as bad as your drama but I know what you mean when you feel so distressed. My only consolation is that it is going to fall out in a couple years anyway.

Keith, Heather and Carsen said...

Oh no!! I felt so bad for you guys when I heard the news....I've seen many parents go through this sort of thing, Luckily it was only a baby tooth, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with i'm sure. We are excited to see you guys this weekend and hope luke is feeling better. love ya

Briana said...

Oh the joys of temper tantrums. Sorry yours had to be so dramatic. I hope it doesn't end up getting infected or have nerve damage. Keep us updated!